These essays were written as a result a journey of research and experimentation in the Socratic method and Socratic philosophy that has been ongoing for over thirty years. For more than thirty years, Melete (the pseudonym of my co-author) engaged me in philosophy conversations that upheld the best spirit of Socratic discourse.
- INTRODUCTION TO THE SOCRATIC METHOD AND ITS EFFECT ON CRITICAL THINKING
This essay on the home page of the site introduces the Socratic Method. If you are unfamiliar, start here.
- HOW TO USE THE SOCRATIC METHOD
This essay serves as a conceptual site map and as an application oriented summary of my research.
- THE FUNDAMENTALS OF EDUCATION
The fundamental principles necessary to construct a Socratic focus on education and a discussion of the core structure that makes the full power of the Socratic method come to life are presented in the context of a criticism of the academic study of the arts.
- A SOCRATIC PERSPECTIVE ON THE NATURE OF HUMAN EVIL
A Socratic perspective on the relationship between ignorance, human evil, and the examined life.
- THE SOCRATIC TEMPERAMENT
The necessary character traits of the Socratic teacher are disscussed.
- THE SEMANTIC INDEPENDENCE OF SOCRATIC FOCUS
A proof of concept piece that demonstrates how to address responses to the big questions without having to have a knowledge of the answers or the students responses to the question.
- A MEMORIAL DAY ESSAY: THE LIVING MEMORY OF THE FALLEN SOLDIER
- A SOCRATIC PERSPECTIVE ON THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE
This essay explains the most important thing we can learn from zombies so that we can avoid living out a human apocalypse.
- A SOCRATIC PERSPECTIVE ON GENDER IDENTITY
The foundation of the identity of both genders are disscused.
- INTRODUCTION TO COMPLEXITY ETHICS:
An introduction to ethical thinking based on the energy dynamics of increasing complexity.